The GVPC Mission is to prevent the tragedy of gun violence through education and reasonable regulation of firearms.
Salt Lake City architect and artist Ron Molen and his wife Norma founded the organization Utahns Against Gun Violence in 1994 after their son had been shot and killed at Indiana University. In 2001, he and a group of other concerned citizens, who believed that we need to and can do far more to protect society from the misuse of guns, formed the successor organization, Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah. The GVPC Mission is to prevent the tragedy of gun violence through education and reasonable regulation of firearms.
GVPC is a non-partisan 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing and promoting legislation and policy that reduce gun violence. GVPC bases its policy positions on facts, statistics and measured data. We obtain information from, and coordinate with, well-established research groups across the country. We believe it is possible for our society to take significant action against the misuse of guns and still maintain the ability of citizens to own and possess firearms for legitimate recreational purposes. GVPC is built on the philosophy that reasonable regulation of firearms can lead to significant reduction in the occurrence of gun violence. We can and should do everything possible so that not one more life is needlessly lost to gun violence.
What We Do.
- Educate Utahns’ about the merits of moderate gun-violence prevention measures such as:
- Research gun violence statistics, gun safety legislation, and coordinate and network with other State’s GVP organizations in our States United Coalition
- Testify and provide information in uState Legislative Hearings
- Sponsor and coordinate events to bring awareness of Gun Violence
- Co-Hosting Annual GVP Vigil (December)
- Collect and deliver constituent comments
- Speak and participate in Community Organization meetings and events.
- Provide information and GVP statistics to State and Federal legislators.
- Coordinate support and advocacy with other organizations concerned about gun violence through the Utah Gun Safety Coalition.
- Write letters to the Editor / Opinion Editorials
- Provide information and advocacy education to our supporters through our social media and other platforms.